Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My heart can't handle this

Yesterday was a emotional day. We drove from Texas to Arkansas. When we hit Oklahoma, my Dad mentioned the Federal Building Museum, and over the whistling of Bertha, I wasn't comprehending that he was talking about the site of the Oklahoma City Bombing. Because of this, I hadn't prepared myself for the impact the site and museum would have on my my tender heart. There's a room in the Museum that is supposed to represent a Board of Water hearing of some sort that happened across the road from the Federal Building that fateful morning. You get to listen to the recording from that morning's meeting, which kind of drones on...and without warning you hear the bomb going off, the lights flash, and pictures of the victims faces light up on the opposite wall. It was intense.
After all of that, we met up with Nathan's Brother Jordan in an Arkansas Laundromat--I hadn't seen him in two and a half years. He's on a bicycle trip across the country, which is ridiculously hard core. He got to meet his niece, use the RV shower, hang out with us at an awesome diner where the locals gathered for karaoke, and then spent the night on the RV's couch. It was all kind of surreal, all of us meeting up in a state we had never been in. It was hard to say goodbye knowing that we had a nice, plush RV to continue on our journey in, and Jordan would have to ride off on his less-than-comfy bike into the great unknown. God speed brother.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... I'm a little jealous of Jordan. But only a little... haha

colette ashley said...

yeah that hit my family so bad because they are all from there and they knew people in it. I want to go there. I can't
Wait to see your pigs

Anonymous said...

I've never been there, but I am sure that would be an emotional experience.

You guys are so close to where we are! Hope it is all going well!

Brittney Harmon said...

it was nice seeing you and nathan again. and wonderful to meet your little one. I wish we lived closer, it would be fun to touch base again! If you're ever in our neck of the woods give us a call :o)