Wednesday, December 3, 2008

yucky buggy prevention

I've been trying to find healthy spider repellant receipes for awhile now, and finally stumbled across some great info! Today I just killed the biggest wolf spider I've ever seen--it was in my bedroom! Yuck! I'm definitely going to try this lemon concoction.

Spider deterrents
Posted by JacquelineL | Sat, Aug. 30, 2008
Essential oil of Lemon is a great natural deterrent for spiders. I make my own surface cleaner for cleaning counter-tops etc. and use a few drops of lemon oil in that to keep spiders out of the kitchen area, and I put some in my mop water and the water I use when I clean walls or ceilings.

I also make up a room spray with about two cups of distilled water, a couple drops of Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid (acts as an emulsifier to allow the lemon oil to mix with the water) and 5 to 15 drops of lemon oil depending on how lemony I want it (I occasionally mix in other essential oils as well for other properties they might have... essential oil of lavender is nice with the lemon... I never go above a total of 15 drops of oil though in one batch though). I squirt that in corners that I know spiders are attracted to and around the house.

I use a very similar spray, made the same way, as a linen spray but combine lemon and lavender with essential oil of eucalyptus because eucalyptus kills dust mites.

Also I know you didn't ask, but silverfish and mildew / mold are deterred by essential oil of clove; I combine that with a little borax, dishwashing detergent, baking soda, vinegar and essential oils of cinnamon and orange which have anti-bacterial & anti-fungal properties (and they all smell really nice together), and I use that to clean my bath because when we first moved in I saw some silverfish under the bathroom sink.

No comments: