Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Positive Post Tuesday- Things Worth Saving


Hmmm, post something positive on Tuesdays? I like it! I also really like my Dad, the most positive person I know and the star of today's blog.

My Dad, Dave, is a witty, intelligent, fun-loving, scuba-diving, fund-raising, photo-taking stock broker in Hawaii. He was a YMCA directer for 25 years (he became one at 19), and helps out with fundraising for countless non-profit organizations such as the March of Dimes, Rotary, the YMCA, The Salvation Army, The United Way, The USS Missouri, The Coalition for a Drug Free Hawaii, and The National Arthritis Foundation. He is a motivational speaker, on the Neighborhood Board, Friends of Hanauma Bay, SME president, and has been the Rotary club president twice (and I'm probably forgetting a lot!). As a stock broker I've seen him work just as hard for the little guy investing $25 a month as he does for the person investing 100,000 monthly. Dave is the best Dad a kid could ask for, and an absolutely amazing Grandpa! He is an all around great guy.

The thing is, he had a pretty lousy childhood. With a handful of drunken step fathers, my Dad had to fight for survival through his trailer-park upbringing--he could have had just as good of an excuse as anyone to mope around and do less than nothing with his life. Instead, he chose to pursue excellence and be the best at everything he put his mind towards accomplishing. His favorite saying is "success is a journey, not a destination."

And of course, behind every great man is a great woman. I don't know where he'd be without my Mom there to support him, so she deserves a mention here! :)

My Dad has an e-mail that he sends out every Monday called Things Worth Saving. (click the link to subscribe). The e-mails are inspirational, uplifting, humorous, and sent with aloha all the way from Hawaii.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you had a blog too... I'm so excited!

That is awesome that you have such a great father.

Your daughter is adorable, and so are your etsy things!

Kevin and Keri Sheckler said...

Fun to find your blog.
Your adorable baby looks just like Nathan.
And great blog about your dad.
I've been the recipient of those e-mails...they are great...just like your dad.

Keri Overstreet Sheckler